Remember that all babies are individuals and develop at their own pace. Premature infants, especially, reach many milestones later than their same-age peers. This checklist should be used only to get a general sense for where your baby is or where he is heading. If you have any concerns about your child's development, consult with your physician.
- Crawls backward, if not also forward.
- May get around by scooting across floor on buttocks and/or pulling forward with arm while pushing back with leg from sitting position.
- May pull to standing position while holding on.
- May come to sitting position unaided.
- Sits unsupported at least 10 minutes.
- Develops pincer grasp.
- May handle two objects simultaneously.
- Holds own bottle.
- Clasps hands together.
- While lying on her back, baby can put her foot into her mouth.
- Great interest in cause and effect.
- Understands objects are external and three-dimensional.
- Still conceives of objects in place where they first appeared.
- Understands notion of in and out.
- Recalls some past events.
- Anticipates familiar upcoming events.
- Imitates people and behaviours.
- Solves simple problems, such as pulling string to get attached toy.
- Understands concepts of one and more than one.
- Understands simple instructions.
Social And Emotional Development
- Begins developing separation anxiety and fear of strangers.
- Plays with toys.
- Begins finger-feeding and holding cups and spoon.
- Enamored with mirror image.
- Responds to human voice, even when the person is out of sight.
- Recognizes family members and familiar adults, but may become choosy about who can pick her up.
- Calls for attention from cot or when parents are in another room.
- Babbles with variety of sounds.
- Uses well defined syllables, like ma or da.
Dr. Bettye M. Caldwell Ph.D. Professor of Pediatrics in Child Development and Education
Our parenting advice is given as suggestions only. We recommend you also consult your healthcare provider, and urge you to contact them immediately if your question is urgent or about a medical condition.