By Hostess with the Mostess
Create an adorable jungle safari smash cake for your little one in no time with this crafty cake topper idea! All you need is little green card stock and some twine to transform a jumbo straw into a cute miniature palm tree. Add an adorable giraffe puzzle piece from the Fisher-Price® Silly Sounds Puzzle and you're all set!
- Jumbo Straw
- Natural Twine
- Card Stock in 2 Shades of Green
- Hot Glue Gun
1. Wrap most of the straw in twine, using hot glue to secure.
Leave a couple inches of the straw unwrapped on the bottom. This is the portion that you'll insert into the cake.
2. Cut 2 different sizes of leaves from the green card stock. (Mine were approximately 3.5" and 1.5". I used 3 big leaves and 7 small leaves.) Once the leaves are cut, fold them in half to create a crease. To add texture, make small diagonal cuts into the folded leaves, starting from the outer edge and working your way down, then open them back up.
3. Use hot glue to secure the leaves to the top of the twine-wrapped straw. Start with the big leaves, then add the smaller leaves above and below. The finished tree top should look something like this:
4. To display, insert the uncovered portion of the straw into the cake. Done!
Tip: The palm tree is best for cute pics before your little one starts to get messy with the cake. Remove the palm tree during the actual smash cake session. You can leave the toy giraffe for baby to play with though!