By Hostess with the Mostess
In addition to being super cute, these easy-peasy hay-shaped snack cakes have no baking required. You can whip them up in a matter of minutes, which should leave a little extra time to get creative with the presentation… like serving them up in bandana-lined “trailers” that look like they’re being pulled by a toy tractor!
- 1 Frozen Pound Cake (12 oz)
- 3 Cups Toasted Coconut Flakes
- 1 Bag White Chocolate Chips (12 oz) or Melting Wafers
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Shortening
- Licorice (Optional)
- Parchment Paper or Wax Paper
For the Tractor Display (Optional):
- Little People® Farm Tractor and Trailer
- Wooden Berry Baskets
- Red and Blue Bandanas
- Printable “Hay Bales for Sale” Mini Banner (Download Here)
1. Cover a tray or baking sheet with parchment paper, and place the toasted coconut in a large bowl.
2. Thaw pound cake and remove it from package. Then cut it width-wise into 8-10 slices.
3. Melt the white chocolate chips and shortening together in the microwave on medium (or the defrost setting) for approximately 1 minute, stopping frequently to stir. Repeat in 15 second intervals as needed until smooth.
4. Take a slice of pound cake to dip and roll into the melted chocolate until all 4 sides are covered. Roll the cake in toasted coconut immediately after. Lay flat onto the parchment paper to let the chocolate coating harden.
5. After all of the cakes have been rolled, place the tray in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
6. Optional: Peel the licorice candy into thin ropes. After the cakes have completely cooled and hardened, tie a rope of licorice around the center of the bale.
Hay Bales Display:
For a cute dessert table display, line wooden berry baskets with bandanas and stack the Coconut Hay Bales inside. Place a Little People® tractor in front of the baskets so it looks like the tractor is pulling trailers of hay! You can also add a printable “Hay Bales for Sale” banner (which you can download here) for the finishing touch!