By Hostess with the Mostess
Make your baby’s smash cake extra fun — and farm-friendly — by modeling it after a bale of hay! One of the best things about hay bales is that they’re naturally messy, so there’s absolutely no need to stress about perfection here. For the finishing touches on your homemade smash cake, top with a cheeky “Hay, I’m ONE today!” banner and Little People® horse figure.
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix (+ Ingredients on Box)
- 2 Tubs of White Frosting
- Yellow Food Coloring
- Piping Bag and Round and Star Frosting Tips
1. Prepare cake mix according to the box’s directions. Bake half of the batter in an 8” square pan until golden brown. (Use remaining cake batter as desired.)
2. While the cake is baking, tint all of your frosting bright yellow with food coloring.
3. Once the 8” cake is baked & cooled, cut in half right down the middle. Frost the top of one half, then stack the other half on top. (Tip: You may need to trim little bit of the cake tops first to get them level so that they stack evenly.)
4. Frost the stacked cake with yellow frosting until covered completely. This is your first layer of frosting, and it will be covered, so don’t worry about making it perfect.
5. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes to allow the frosting to set a bit before adding more.
6. Place the remaining frosting into your piping bag. With a simple round or star nozzle, pipe frosting along the top and long sides with broad strokes that cover the whole length of the cake. Using the star nozzle on the 2 smaller sides (left and right), pipe rows of short frosting peaks to create the look of the ends of the hay. Don’t worry about being too perfect – hay is supposed to look messy! (Tip: You may need to refrigerate the cake periodically while you’re piping the “hay” frosting in order to stiffen the frosting up a bit. It tends to not hold its shape as well as it warms up.)
7. Carefully peel 2 single ropes of licorice from the liccorice candy and place them on the hay bale to represent the “wire”. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
8. Right before serving, top the finished smash cake with a Little People® Farm horse figure and printable “Hay, I’m ONE Today!” banner (which you can download here) attached to 2 straws.