By Hostess with the Mostess
Create an adorable little place to showcase your circus animals (or other favorite decor) with these DIY circus pedestals made from small pails and colored duct tape! Follow the steps below to keep your duct tape triangles consistent, then flip your pail or bucket upside down and apply them all the way around the top. Tip: Look for inexpensive pails in the garden section of discount stores … you can find them for as little as $1! Small plastic buckets can be swapped out for metal pails as well.
- Small Metal Pails
- Colored Duct Tape
- X-Acto Knife
- Straight Ruler
- Cutting Mat
1. Lay a strip of colored duct tape onto your cutting mat. Use the grid of the cutting mat to measure a strip of tape that is exactly twice the length of the triangles that you want, then cut the tape off with your X-Acto knife. (For this project, my strips of tape were 8 grid boxes long, and I was able to create two 2-inch long triangles from each strip.)
2. Now you’re ready to cut the strip of tape into a diamond shape. Using the ruler as your guide, block off a diagonal from the top center of the tape to the middle of one side, then cut the tape with your X-Acto knife and remove the excess, as shown below. Repeat this process on all 4 corners until your tape forms the shape of a diamond.
3. Using the ruler as a guide, cut the diamond shape in half to divide it into 2 equal triangles.
4. Peel a triangle off the mat, then stick it onto the top of the upside down bucket.
5. Repeat with different colors of duct tape triangles until they go all the way around the pail, and you’re done!