By Hostess with the Mostess
A “Royal” theme that’s tailored to a first birthday calls for lots of bright colors, simple shapes and age-appropriate toys. Use these elements to inspire creative decorations too – like a playful Birthday Castle centerpiece featuring “turrets” made from Fisher-Price® Rock-a-Stack® toys! Inexpensive items like gift boxes, felt, and sugar cones will help bring the rest of the castle to life. Don’t worry about making the embellishments on this project “perfect” either… the handmade nature and imperfections actually add a childlike quality to the design that’s perfectly appropriate!
- 1 Shoe Box (or Similar)
- 2 Square Boxes (Approximately 5”)
- Gold Spray Paint
- 2 Fisher-Price® Rock-a-Stack® toys
- 2 Sugar Cones
- 2 Toothpicks
- 8-1½” Wooden Craft Blocks
- Hot Glue
- Red and Yellow Felt (1 Sheet of Each)
- Patterned Paper (Download Here)
- 3 Mini Craft Poms
1. Paint the boxes, sugar cones, and 1” wooden cubes with metallic gold spray paint and let dry.
2. Cut small, simple banner shapes from the yellow felt, and hot glue them to toothpicks to make flags. Hot glue the flags to the sugar cones.
3. Place the finished sugar cones on top of the Rock-a-Stack toys to create the castle turrets:
4. Hot glue the 1” wooden cubes to the top of the largest box to form the top of the castle. Glue 4 blocks to the front edge and 4 blocks to the back edge, spacing evenly.
5. Trim the top of all 3 boxes with scalloped red felt. Measure the strips of felt first, then cut the bottom edge into scallops. Make the trim for the 5” boxes a little smaller than the trim used on the large center box to add variety.
6. Embellish the boxes with windows and doors cut from felt and patterned paper. Use mini craft poms to create small “handles” for the doors.
And you’re done! Display the castle prominently at the Royal Birthday Bash - it’s sure to be a highlight!
Royal Birthday Bash Guides, Tips and DIY Projects
DIY Tutorial: Birthday Ball Garland >
Corn Popper Inspired: Cake Popper >
DIY Tutorial: 1st Birthday Cake Sign >
DIY Tutorial: Birthday Castle >
Party Food: Royal Crown Sandwiches >
DIY Tutorial: Personalized Party Plates >
DIY Tutorial: Scalloped Felt Party Decor >
Royal Birthday : Sparkly Utensils >