By Hostess with the Mostess
Every party needs a cake, but a first birthday actually calls for TWO - one for the party guests to eat, and one for the guest of honor to smash! Since cake is such a big deal at this occasion, highlight it with a creative “Let’s Eat Cake” sign that doubles as prominent decor for the cake table. The use of an oversize frame makes this DIY party sign really stand out, while crafty embellishments like felt and buttons keep the look age-appropriate and affordable.
- Foam Core
- Craft Felt Sheets in Purple, Red, Blue, and Yellow
- Printable 8x10 Cake Sign (Download Here)
- 4 Plastic Balls
- 4 Buttons
- Gold Glitter Tape
- Hot Glue Gun
- Large Open Frame
1. Measure and cut the foam core to fit within the frame.
2. Glue the 4 sheets of felt evenly onto the foam core, so that each sheet covers 1/4 of the space and the corners meet up in the middle. Trim excess felt from the edges as necessary.
3. Glue the Printable 8x10 Cake Sign to the center of the felt and embellish with glittered gold tape and colorful buttons around the edges.
4. With the frame laying flat, hot glue plastic balls to each inside corner of the frame. Use a generous amount of glue, and make sure the glue has completely dried before turning the sign upright.
And you’re done! Here’s a closer look at the finished sign:
To display the frame, you can hang or rest it against the wall behind the cake table, or attach 2 large wooden dowels to the back and insert it into a container filled with floral foam, as shown above.
Royal Birthday Bash Guides, Tips and DIY Projects
DIY Tutorial: Birthday Ball Garland >
Corn Popper Inspired: Cake Popper >
DIY Tutorial: 1st Birthday Cake Sign >
DIY Tutorial: Birthday Castle >
Party Food: Royal Crown Sandwiches >
DIY Tutorial: Personalized Party Plates >
DIY Tutorial: Scalloped Felt Party Decor >
Royal Birthday : Sparkly Utensils >