Keep the traditions of good eating and gracious entertaining alive and well with
Caroline's Italian Buttercream (Yields 8 Cups)
- ½ cup water
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup egg whites (about 12 large eggs)
- 1 ½ pounds (6 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Bring water and sugar to a boil. Make sure to wash down the sugar crystals that form on the sides of the pan as the water heats. When the sugar comes to a boil set a timer for 7 minutes and let boil.
2. After 5 Minutes, whip egg whites at high speed. Whip until stiff. They should be done when the timer goes off.
3. With the mixer still set on high speed, slowly beat the sugar syrup into the egg whites, pouring the syrup to the side of the bowl to avoid the whip. Continue to beat untill the bowl is cool to touch, about 10 minutes.
4. Slowly add butter in small pieces. When the buttercream begins to jump out of the bowl, reduce the speed to low.
5. Mix in vanilla extract at low speed. Beat until light and fluffy. At some points the mixture might look curdled. Just keep beating; it will becomes smooth again.