icon-arrow-down icon icon-arrow-fill-down icon icon-arrow-next icon icon-arrow-prev icon icon-tag-close icon
Does my son's underbite need orthodonture?
Q: My 1-year-old son has an obvious underbite. Will this correct itself, or is he most likely in for a lot of trips to the orthodontist?
A: An orthodontist should evaluate your son. After the eruption of his 2½-year-old molars, make an appointment with an orthodontist, who can advise you of treatment options. For an underbite, many orthodontists start treatment upon the eruption of the 6-year molars. They will commonly expand the upper jaw at that time to correct the underbite, which will make any future treatment easier. Sometimes, that's all that is needed.