icon-arrow-down icon icon-arrow-fill-down icon icon-arrow-next icon icon-arrow-prev icon icon-tag-close icon
Does my son's underbite need orthodonture?
Q: My 1-year-old son has an obvious underbite. Will this correct itself, or is he most likely in for a lot of trips to the orthodontist?
A: An orthodontist should evaluate your son. After the eruption of his 2½-year-old molars, make an appointment with an orthodontist, who can advise you of treatment options. For an underbite, many orthodontists start treatment upon the eruption of the 6-year molars. They will commonly expand the upper jaw at that time to correct the underbite, which will make any future treatment easier. Sometimes, that's all that is needed.
Gregory F. George D.D.S.