Car Seat To-Do List
- Study your vehicle's owner's manual and the instruction manual that comes with your car seat to learn how to install the seat correctly.
- Make sure the vehicle belt holding the car seat is fastened tightly so the car seat doesn't move more than one inch in any direction.
- For rear-facing infant car seats: insert the harness straps restraining baby in the car seat into the slots at or below baby's shoulders.
- For front-facing convertible seats: move the harness straps to a position at or above baby's shoulder level.
- Check that the harness-retainer clip is level with a child's armpits to keep shoulder straps from sliding off.
- Properly support your infant's head. A rear-facing baby should ride semi-reclined, not to exceed a 45-degree angle from vertical.
- Check that locking clips are used correctly and positioned ½ to 1 inch from the vehicle seat belt buckle.