I just read that citrus products are more detrimental to children's teeth than sugary substances. It states that kids shouldn't brush right after eating an orange because this could make the acid go deeper into the tooth enamel, which is porous. I read that drinking milk right after might neutralize the acid. What are your thoughts?
We know that when there is an acid environment in the mouth, tooth enamel can be damaged. This lowering of the pH can occur from soft drinks, citrus fruits and other acidic foods. The saliva will usually buffer or rinse the pH.
Rinsing with water or brushing it would seem to be a good idea as you are removing the acid. Remember, cavities occur when an acid sits on a tooth for a long enough period of time. Sugary substances can cause acid production when combined with plaque, with especially sticky sugary treats causing a longer-lasting effect.
Overall, it's important for people to consider reducing acids and sugary substances in their diets.
Our parenting advice is given as suggestions only. We recommend you also consult your healthcare provider, and urge you to contact them immediately if your question is urgent or about a medical condition.