- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows or 40 large marshmallows
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal (pastel-colored, if available)
- Candy eggs or other Easter candy
- 1/3 cup chocolate or butterscotch chips (optional)
- 1 cup chow mein noodles (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Be sure your child is not near the stove while you’re doing this step.
- Add the marshmallows and stir the mixture constantly over low heat until it's syrupy.
- Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the cereal until it's well coated.
- Have your child form some of the mixture into a nest shape with their hands.
- Repeat this process with the remaining mixture.
- Place a few candy eggs in each nest.
- If you like, melt the chocolate or butterscotch chips and mix them with the chow mein noodles, then use this mixture instead of the cereal mixture to form nest shapes.
Adult participation needed for melting ingredients on stovetop.